We may earn a small commission from products from the companies mentioned in this post.
We looooove Egg Roll in a Bowl. LOVE IT. I've been making different variations of this recipe for years. I remember I first saw it on a low-carb Facebook group, and it was just another Atkins-follower sharing her idea (I wish I knew her name so I could give her credit!). I later saw a different recipe pop up on a THM forum, then again in the THM cookbook, and then it seemed to explode in popularity – I saw an Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe on just about every low-carb forum and Facebook group out there!
Jump to Recipe
This recipe is different, but the kicker is the sauce we add to the end. I originally started mixing up this sauce for dipping grilled shrimp, and I loved the simplicity of it (and the taste!).
There are plenty of similarities between the low-carb Egg Roll in a Bowl recipes you can find online and this one – my family has been making these for years, and once I saw the idea I didn't actually follow a recipe. This one is our favorite version, and I actually had to go back and measure the ingredients while I was cooking so I could share it with you!
You'll cook your ground meat first, but I wanted to warn you not to panic when you add the coleslaw mix – it looks like a huge, overflowing amount of veggies, but it will cook down to a more manageable amount.
The cabbage will make a huge pile, but as it cooks it will shrink down quite a bit.
Make sure you season it all really well with salt and pepper to taste – I sprinkle the seasoning pretty generously all over once the beef is cooked through, then taste and adjust as needed.
The sriracha sauce is so simple, but so good! Definitely don't skip this step!
I hope you love this as much as my family does!
Spicy Egg Roll (in a Bowl)
- 3-4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 bags coleslaw mix/shredded cabbage mix
- 1.5 pounds ground beef or ground pork my favorite option is a 1/2 beef 1/2 pork combo
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- sriracha sauce
- 1. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.2. Add the white parts of the green onions (reserve the green parts) and fresh garlic to the hot skillet.3. Saute 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant and white parts of onions are translucent.4. Add ground beef or pork and fresh ginger to the skillet, and brown the meat until cooked through.5. Add coleslaw mix, soy sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cook until cabbage is cooked down, about 7 minutes.6. Stir everything together so the flavors combine, and turn heat to low while you make the creamy sriracha sauce.For the Sriracha sauce:1. Mix 2/3 cup mayonnaise with 2 Tablespoons sriracha sauce. Add more sriracha sauce to taste if you like a spicier flavor.2. I like to pipe the sriracha over the top of each bowl in a swirl with a piping bag (a ziploc bag with the tip cut off works just as well). Garnish with sliced green parts of the onion and serve. You can omit the sriracha sauce if you prefer.