I loooooove Starbucks Peppermint Mochas. Love them. But their sugar-laden version is so extremely bad for me that I haven't had one in a long time. Even the “skinny” version isn't exactly boosting my health, so I came up with a low-carb, healthy frozen peppermint mocha that satisfies my craving and keeping me on track with a healthy diet. This is a Trim Healthy Mama “S” recipe, and can easily be made dairy-free, too! I topped mine with whipped coconut milk, shaved Lily's Chocolate, and Sugar-Free Peppermint Candies (I was gifted a bag of xylitol peppermint candies, which I understand are super expensive, but they don't really add much to this recipe so feel free to skip them – it's just a garnish!).
If you need ingredients, you can find them here:
Trim Healthy Mama Super Sweet
- ¾ cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1½ Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop protein powder (I use Jay Robb's egg white protein powder)
- 1 teaspoon MCT or coconut oil
- ½ cup coffee (I used Trader Joe's plain instant coffee because my coffee maker is broken)
- 2½ - 3 tsp Trim Healthy Mama Super Sweet Blend or equivalent* to taste
- 1-2 drops peppermint extract
- 1-2 cups of ice
- Combine all ingredients (except for ice) in a blender and blend well. I recommend putting a drop of peppermint extract on a spoon, then dripping it into the blender so that you don't accidentally put too much in the shake. I start with one drop and increase to two if it's not minty enough. You can also add more or less sweetener depending on your taste preference.
- Once the ingredients are blended well, add ice until you get the consistency you want. For me, it's about 1 cup plus a few extra ice cubes.
- *If you substitute the sweetener, please check Trim Healthy Mama's sweetener conversion chart first!
- Top with whipped cream and Lily's chocolate chips or chocolate bar shavings - these toppings are optional, but really good, and they are what makes this an "S" recipe. If you leave the toppings out, you'll have a THM FP.
Here's a link to Trim Healthy Mama's Sweetener Conversion Chart if you need it!