You guys. YOU GUYS. I made a chocolate chip cookie. For real. But not just any chocolate chip cookie…this is a LOW-CARB chocolate chip cookie. AND IT'S DELICIOUS! AND IT ISN'T MADE WITH PEANUT BUTTER! Ok, sorry, I'll stop yelling now. I'm just excited. I have tried MANY low-carb chocolate chip cookie recipes, and none of them have tasted the way I hoped. I longed for a low-carb-cookie-inator (do your kids watch Phineas and Ferb?). It doesn't taste like almond flour or coconut flour, either, since I used the THM Baking Blend. I made eleven billion cookies to get the right taste and texture – well, maybe not eleven billion, but I've been working on this for months. When I settled on this recipe, I could not keep my kids out of them…and that was when I knew I'd found a winner!
Check out this cookie dough:
This makes ONE giant-ish chocolate chip cookie (or you could make a few smaller ones, but watch the cooking time). Why did I make a single serve cookie? Because although you can eat a lot of healthy fats with THM, sometimes I need portion control. Especially when it comes to cookies.
This recipe uses Gentle Sweet and Baking Blend from Trim Healthy Mama, Just Like Brown Sugar, and Lily's stevia-sweetened chocolate chips. If you don't have Lily's, you could use plan-approved chocolate, or you could chop up some skinny chocolate and try that, too. There are also recipes for mock-brown sugar floating around on Pinterest, but since I used Just Like Brown Sugar I can't vouch for the results if you use a substitution. Brown sugar substitutes can be pricey, but I've had my 1 lb. bag for over six months, it's still over halfway full, and I use it very frequently. Just remember that you don't need much! A little goes a long way.
Here's the finished product, which I enjoyed with a glass of unsweetened cashew milk:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Just Like Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Gentle Sweet
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 1/3 cup baking blend, minus 1 Tablespoon
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 T whisked egg (whisk 1 egg in a cup or bowl, then pour the whisked egg into a measuring spoon)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup low-carb chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter and cool completely
- Whisk an egg in a cup and add 2 Tablespoons of the whisked egg to the melted and cooled butter
- Add vanilla and stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine Baking Blend, Just Like Brown Sugar, Gentle Sweet, pinch of salt, and pinch of baking soda, and mix all dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into one giant cookie or 2-3 small cookies on a baking sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes for a giant cookie or 7-9 minutes for the smaller cookies or until the cookies look done.
- **Baking Blend Note** PLEASE make sure to remove 1 Tablespoon of the Baking Blend from the 1/3 cup measurement. A full 1/3 cup makes the cookies too dry.
- ***Just Like Brown Sugar is a brown sugar substitute that I buy from NETRITION.COM which is linked in the post above. I buy Gentle Sweet and Baking Blend directly from the Trim Healthy Mama store, also linked in the post above.
I'd love to share my meal plans with you!
Sign up for your free complete menus and shopping lists here!