This is a family favorite. My mom used to make this for family dinners, and it became a staple when I got married and finally learned to cook. The original version uses one can of condensed cream of chicken soup, which is a no-no for people with Celiac disease. It’s also not on plan if you’re a Trim Healthy Mama, and definitely doesn’t work with a low-carb lifestyle.
When I finally came up with my own low-carb, gluten-free cream of chicken soup recipe, I knew what I wanted to make first…low carb chicken divan casserole! This is a simple comfort food. I serve it with salad for the adults (for a Trim Healthy Mama S), and brown rice for the kids. Serving it with brown rice could be a great Trim Healthy Mama S Helper or Crossover, too!
I’ve been asked about the dish in the photo, and about where I buy the baking blend for the cream of chicken soup, so here’s where you can find them:
Here are two similar casserole dishes:
And the Baking Blend I use:
I get fresh, good quality chicken from Zaycon Fresh (they’re everywhere!). It’s worth stocking up at these prices!
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, cooled and cubed
- 1 package frozen broccoli florets or chopped broccoli (at least 10 oz)
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 recipe "Low-Carb Cream of Chicken Soup" from workingathomeschool.com
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, combine cooked chicken, frozen broccoli, and 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, stir together cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Pour soup/mayonnaise mixture over baking dish and stir to combine.
- Top with 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for thirty minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
P.S. – My new eBook, 365: One Year of Healthy Meals for Busy Families, is available now! It’s one full year of reusable gluten-free monthly meal plans (it’s undated, so you can start at any time of the year and use each month over and over again), with printable shopping lists, meal idea worksheets, and tons of bonuses. You can click here to learn more!
I'd love to share my meal plans with you!
Sign up for your free complete menus and shopping lists here!