Back in the day, I was pretty desperate to lose the baby weight from from my first
marathon weight-gain pregnancy, and I turned to the South Beach Diet (low carb 24/7). I was thrilled to lose 12 pounds in 12 days…and less than thrilled to gain it all back a few months later. That's ONE of the many reasons that I was so happy to lose all of the weight from ALL of my pregnancies with Trim Healthy Mama, and keep it off! All the while eating a healthy, balanced diet that kept me from feeling deprived.
When I was a full-time low-carber with the South Beach Diet, I made these easy pizzas for me and my then-toddler frequently. Now that my sweet little toddler is a sweet pre-teen with Celiac disease, these pizzas are a quick, gluten-free staple. This is not a “new” recipe, by any means, but definitely a healthy, gluten-free time saver for us! Best of all, they fit into the THM lifestyle very well. One pizza is an FP, but you can have more as a THM S.
Just five ingredients here – Monterey Jack cheese (or mozzarella, part-skim or lower fat cheese is best for FP ), no-added-sugar pizza sauce, Canadian bacon, parmesan cheese, and oregano.
These are simple enough for kids to make – just layer the Canadian Bacon on a baking sheet, then pizza sauce, shredded cheese, grated cheese, and a sprinkle of oregano. I bake them for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.
There you have it! A super quick, simple recipe that is gluten-free, low-carb, and kid-friendly. I have one for a quick FP snack when I'm in a hurry, or two or more for an S meal or bigger snack.
- Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
- No-sugar-added pizza sauce, like Muir Glenn or Great Value
- Canadian Bacon
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried Oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Assemble mini-pizzas by placing Canadian bacon slices in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Add 2 Tablespoons pizza sauce to each slice of bacon
- Add 2 Tablespoons Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese to each slice of bacon
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan over the top of each bacon slice
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon oregano over each bacon slice
- Bake 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees, or until cheese is bubbly
- Cool and enjoy!
- Each mini pizza has 96 calories; 4 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fat, and 8 grams of protein.