Want a nicer, healthier dinner that's not too complicated?
I'm as Drive Thru Sue as they come. Honestly, working as many jobs as I do while homeschooling 5 kids keeps me feeling on the wrong side of “fancy” most days.
So our meals are generally NOT fancy, or complicated, or time-consuming – I specialize in quick, easy, and convenient with an emphasis on healthy and THM-friendly and I'm OK with that.
But every once in a while I want something that suits a sit-down family dinner a little better, and this is one of my favorites!
This recipe isn't incredibly time consuming, but it is customizable and delicious!
This one can be found in my family-friendly Easy Weekly Dinner Meal Plans, and although it's fairly simple it's a family favorite!
First you'll mix up the seasonings and marinade the steak:
Then you'll slice the steak against the grain and set it aside.
Take a few minutes to slice some bell peppers and onions…
Then toss the veggies and steak on a baking sheet, and stick it in the oven!
OK, maybe don't toss it. That doesn't sound fun to clean up. Lovingly place it on a baking sheet and gently tuck the baking sheet into the oven. (Too much?)
Mmmmm…fajitas! You can serve them in low-carb tortillas with sour cream, cheese, sliced avocado, and salsa.
OR (as the THM Coach in me feels obligated to point out) you could skip the dairy and the low-carb tortilla and just pile up the yummy steak and veggies over chopped lettuce with some salsa and avocado and make it a little more slimming. Either way, it's delicious!
My kids don't need to eat low-carb meals, so I'll often heat up a can of black beans with a tablespoon of cumin and a teaspoon of chili powder for them to have on the side, making this recipe a crossover. I make black beans like that several times a week to round out our meals – it honestly just takes a few minutes and it's delicious. That makes this the perfect meal for growing kids, and a wonderful S for me without the beans!
Easy Sheet Pan Fajitas
- 12 oz round steak, sliced *add more steak for a bigger family, bigger eaters, or leftovers!
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning or fajita seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili powder start with 1/2 tsp chili powder and add more to your family's heat preference
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 low-carb tortillas (optional)
- sour cream for topping (optional)
- sliced avocado or guacamole for topping (optional) (up to 1/2 sliced avocado for a Trim Healthy Mama)
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- 1 jar salsa for topping (optional)
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce for making into a salad (optional)
- 8 oz sliced grape tomatoes for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400. Slice the onion and bell pepper into thin slices. Combine lime juice, chili powder, paprika, and taco seasoning in a small bowl. Rub the steak with lime juice and seasoning mixture, then slice thinly against the grain. Drizzle oil on a large baking sheet. Add veggies to the baking sheet and drizzle with more oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss.Add steak slices to the pan and arrange steak and veggies in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven, turning steak once, until steak is cooked to desired temperature/doneness and onions are translucent. Serve with toppings and low-carb tortillas if desired.