We may earn a small commission from products from the companies mentioned in this post.
The ultimate low-carb, gluten-free cream of chicken soup recipe – perfect for casseroles! This recipe can work as a keto cream of chicken soup recipe, too!
I LOVE a good casserole, especially ones that feature this low carb cream of chicken soup recipe. I especially love to double casserole recipes and freeze one for later.
It seems like the key to many good casseroles is the not-so-good-for-you cans of condensed soup. For many years, we omitted the canned soup entirely because I couldn't find a gluten-free option at the store…but the casseroles were bland and decidedly dry. When I finally found a gluten-free option at the store, I saw that it was loaded with preservatives and definitely not low-carb.
Wanting a creamy, delicious casserole, but lacking a gluten-free low carb cream of chicken soup recipe, I decided to make my own. This recipe makes enough to replace three cans of the condensed soup, so I use one portion and freeze the other two. I've got two versions of this recipe – one with almond flour and coconut flour (which is keto-friendly) and one with Trim Healthy Mama's Baking Blend. The almond flour/coconut flour version was good, but tasted a tiny bit grainy and nutty when I ate the soup straight (it smelled so good that I ate a bowl of it – it was delicious!). Once I baked it in a casserole, however, that grainy and nutty taste disappeared and it was extra awesome.
My favorite way to use this recipe is my Low Carb Chicken Divan Casserole. My kids ask for it weekly!
UPDATE: Several people have asked me about getting a “condensed” cream of chicken soup from this recipe. You can try reducing the chicken broth, but if you do that, I definitely don't recommend eating it straight. If you find that you use this in a recipe and it's too creamy or adds too much liquid (I haven't had that happen yet), you may want to try to reduce the chicken broth.
Here it is – Gluten-Free Low Carb Cream of Chicken Soup! Try it in this Low Carb Chicken Divan Casserole for a hearty and delicious family meal!
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/3 cup THM Baking Blend* OR 2 1/2 Tablespoons coconut flour + 2 1/2 Tablespoons almond flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken, shredded or chopped, no skin**
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add onions and garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes
- Add THM Baking Blend OR coconut/almond flour combo and stir well
- Cook for 2-3 more minutes or until mixture is golden and pasty
- Add chicken broth, seasoning, and chicken and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover your saucepan, and simmer for 10 minutes
- Pour into your blender (set on low)*** and blend until completely smooth
- Pour from blender back into saucepan
- Add heavy cream and simmer until heated through.
- COOL COMPLETELY - it should thicken a bit as a cools - before dividing into thirds and using in a casserole or freezing.
- *If you use THM Baking Blend, you may want to add an extra teaspoon of butter. Mine turned out even better with a little extra liquid.
- **I just pulled a mix of light and dark meat off of a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- ***Please don't set your blender on "High" when you're dealing with hot liquids! Start on the lowest setting possible and use caution!