We may earn a small commission from products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I feel like I've been eating this taco recipe since birth (although that may be a slight exaggeration). My mom used to make this weekly, or close to it, and serve it with big bags of Fritos. I haven't had Fritos in a looong time, because they aren't exactly low-carb and I've pretty much lost my taste for them, but the rest of this meal is still a super quick and delicious dinner – my kids ask for it all the time! (By the way, if I find Fritos on sale, I would grab a bag and let the kids go to town on Taco Stack-ups with Fritos while I go to town on Taco Stack-Ups without Fritos).
When I started eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, I wanted a Trim Healthy Mama taco recipe, but didn't now how to navigate the world of tacos without tortillas or chips. Fortunately, this satisfies my cravings and it's SO simple and easy that it makes a perfect weeknight meal!
Here's the quick and easy recipe – I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 packets taco seasoning (I look for gluten-free with no added carbs); or make your own
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- Spray a skillet or pan with coconut oil spray
- Brown ground beef
- When ground beef is nearly cooked, sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir to combine flavors
- Add tomato sauce, stir, and simmer on low for 5 minutes
- Serve the meat with bowls of sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced black olives, cilantro, lime wedges, salsa, and guacamole.
- Stack the taco meat and other ingredients as desired.
- Cheese and sour cream are optional if you need to eat dairy-free.